What is an essential oil?
Essential oils are volatile aromatic compounds derived from plants through a process called distillation. The most common form of distillation used is steam distillation, however, oils such as those in the citrus family can be cold pressed. Volatile refers to the quick evaporation nature of the oils. When you open a bottle of essential oil you immediately smell the aroma of the oil because it is changing from a liquid state to a gas state.Those aromatic compounds are quickly detected by our olfactory sensors in the nose and signals are sent to the brain that are a result of the therapeutic properties of the oil.
Essential oils contain the “essence” of a plant, which is extracted through distillation from the flowers, leaves, bark, stems and other areas. It is estimated that in one drop of essential oil there are 40 million trillion molecules! That averages 40,000 molecules for each cell in the human body. Since essential oils are highly concentrated, they bring about strong physiological, mental and emotional responses in the body. That’s why for thousands of years people have used them for their health and beauty benefits.
Essential Oil Industry: Not All Oils Are Created Equal
Essential oils are growing in popularity with many families choosing to live holistically. Unfortunately, there is no organization overseeing the quality and safety of essential oils in the market. Even more surprising, companies can use terms like “essential oil” and “100% pure” when they are not. Manufacturers can add synthetic products to the oils and dilute them with carrier oils without any labeling to inform you.
Essential oils fall into these four categories: synthetic, food grade, therapeutic and certified-pure therapeutic.
Synthetic: the majority of essential oils are produced for the perfume industry using chemicals and used for fragrance. They can be toxic and cause sensitivity.
Food Grade: these oils are produced for food flavoring and fragrance. They are processed and can contain synthetic ingredients.
Therapeutic: oils sold in health food stores and major stores. Many are diluted with carrier oils and can contain synthetic ingredients.
Certified-Pure Therapeutic Grade: a standard created by doTERRA to set new standards for purity in the essential oil industry. Oils with this label are 100% pure essential oil and tested by a third party company to ensure purity. They undergo six tests: Organoleptic, microbial, gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, Fourier transform infrared spectrometry, chirality, and heavy metal testing.
Learn more about doTERRA’s quality testing in this video.
How to Use Essential Oils
The most common application of an essential oil is aromatically. However, essential oils can also be used topically on the skin to soothe conditions like minor cuts, bug bites and burns, as well as taken internally. You can use one or multiple application methods for emotional and physical wellness treatments. Similarly, you can use single oils or blend a variety of oils using the application methods listed below:
- Topically: Apply essential oils to the bottoms of the feet, back of ears, temples, forehead, area of pain or discomfort.
- Internally: Essential oils with supplement labels are ingestible. Put a couple of drops into glass of water or beverage, under the tongue, or in a veggie capsule. (**doTERRA essential oils with supplement labels are safe to take internally. However, most essential oils purchased in health food stores will have “aromatic use only.” These are not safe to ingest.)
- Aromatically: Diffuse essential oil in diffuser or place oil in hands and inhale.
Learn more about application methods, research and safety on doTERRA’s Science blog.
Properties of Essential Oils
Each essential oil’s therapeutic benefits are unique and based on the chemical makeup of the oil. Some of the most common properties of essential oils are:
Essential Oil Safety
Doterra essential oils are safe to use, but it important to understand some precautions before use. The most common concern is skin sensitivity. People with sensitive, young or mature skin should dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil and patch test a small area of their skin before applying to the whole area.
Our essential oils are labels as Neat, Sensitive and Dilute. Oils labeled as neat are safe to apply directly to the skin. Sensitive indicates the oil will leave a tingling sensation on the skin and should be diluted if effect causes too much sensitivity to the skin. Dilute notes oils that are “warm” or “hot” and should always be diluted with carrier oil before application.
More about essential oil safety…
- Essential oils are highly concentrated aromatic compounds extracted from plants. When used properly, these oils are very effective in providing therapeutic benefits both physically and emotionally. Some safety precautions to keep in mind when using oils include:
- Avoid applying essential oils near or on the eye or ear canal. If the oil get into the eyes or ears, use a carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil, to flush it out.
- Do not use essential oils on infants.
- Dilute “warm” oils with carrier oils before applying directly on the skin. Warm oils include cinnamon, clove, ginger, oregano, eucalyptus among others.
- Do not use photosensitive oils in the sun. These oils contain compounds that make the skin hypersensitive to UV rays and could cause a sunburn or dark or light spots to appear. Wait about 12 hours after applying these oils to have direct exposure to UV rays. These oils include mainly citrus oils, including bergamot, wild orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime.
- Store essential oils in room temperature and away from light, heat and extreme moisture, which can cause them to oxidize and limit their potency.
- Patch test oils to check for sensitivity. Dilute blend to 1-2% and apply to inside of arm for a couple of days prior to using full potency blend. If reaction occurs, avoid using oil.
How to Buy Essential Oils
Let’s face it, you can find essential oils just about anywhere these days. Your local grocery store, health food store, or salon likely sell them. But are they pure and therapeutic grade? Probably not. Most essential oils are diluted with carrier oil, solvents, alcohol, or even worse artificial fragrance. Since there is no standard for purity in the essential oil industry, it is important to purchase your oils from a company that puts their oils under vigorous quality assurance testing. I use doTerra essential oils, a company that created their own standard of testing and has their oils tested by a third party company to ensure purity. Where can you find certified-pure therapeutic grade oils? These oils are sold solely by distributors like me.
Continue reading to find out how you can SAVE 25% on these quality essential oils.
Wholesale vs Retail
You can get a 25% discount on every purchase of doTerra certified-pure therapeutic grade essential oils with no minimum purchase or obligation by signing up for a wholesale membership. There are no monthly purchase requirements, no sales obligation, and when you purchase a starter kit, your $35 membership fee is waived. It’s much like purchasing a membership to a wholesale club like Costco or Sam’s Club, but for essential oils. Your membership entitles you to 25% off retail prices and exclusive monthly deals.
A wholesale membership with doTERRA is similar to a Costco membership where you pay a low fee to get wholesale pricing on the entire inventory. There is NO obligation to purchase monthly, NO hidden fees, and NO requirement to sell oils either. Here is what your doTERRA wholesale membership includes:
- 25% off retail price
- Up to 50% off selected products and access to free products monthly
- $35 yearly membership fee; waived with the purchase of an essential oil starter kit
- No monthly fees or purchase requirements
- 10-30% money back in credits. Eligibility to earn points towards purchases with Loyalty Rewards Program will give you between 10-30% money back in credit towards products, plus free products monthly.
- FREE monthly oils for wholesalers signed up with reward program and $100 or more order
- First dibs on exclusive promotions
- Access to essential oil education and trainings
- Ability to earn commissions on enrollments
- FREE business website, access to business tools and product information
A wholesale essential oils membership is the most cost-effective way to purchase oils. Whether you want to take your time and learn about essential oils at your leisure or you’re ready to hit the ground running and start an essential oil business of your own, the wholesale membership is the best way to go. I have enrollment kits for every budget and wellness need. Choose one of our ready-made kits or create your own kit (email me for details).
Exclusive Offer from Drops of Yoga
As part of your membership with my essential oils team, you will get:
- One-on-one call, Skype or in-person wellness consultation to go over your needs and answer any questions you may have.
- Exclusive resources on essential oils to get you started on your path to wellness.
- Access to FREE online training and WEEKLY in-person classes with an essential oils team that will help you get the most out of your oils through fun educational classes and DIY.
- Unlimited ongoing support as you continue to learn and grow with essential oils.
- Updates on the latest promotions and news about our certified-pure therapeutic grade oils.
My goal is help you improve your health and wellness using nature’s gift. I have a wealth of knowledge on oils to share with you. I also recognize that you have your own personal experiences that you bring to our team, and I invite you to share that with me and other doTERRA wellness advocates. When you join my team, we will not only learn and grow together, but we will share priceless life experiences and build lasting friendships.
Schedule a free consultation and I’ll help you choose an essential oil starter kit that’s right for you. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about kits and wholesale memberships.
*Free Wholesale Membership with any doTERRA Essential Oil Starter Kit
Contact Me About Essential Oils