As a mother-to-be and reiki teacher, I knew when I found out I was pregnant that reiki would be a big part of the next nine months. I practice reiki daily and it is a big part of who I am. Now that I am stepping into the role of a mother, I find reiki even more vital for me to use to empower myself and my baby.
Practicing reiki self healing helped me overcome many of the physical and emotional changes I experienced as a first time expectant mother. It also assisted me in forming a deeper bond with my baby in the womb during the early weeks of pregnancy when the physical changes were barely noticeable.
Pregnancy is such a life changing event that it can unleash past fears, trauma and emotions that have been tucked away for years. On a physical level, the body is working harder to nourish this new being, to grow organs and body systems. Hormones are being released to support this process and it can make women experience mood swings, feel vulnerable and fatigued.
This is a great time for reiki to support the mother as she unburdens herself from these emotions and finds relief from the physical discomfort. Reiki can provide an expectant mother with the support she needs to get through each stage of pregnancy with confidence and ease. With reiki guiding the healing, she can re-emerge strong and fearless.
How To Perform Reiki Self Healing During Pregnancy
During my first and second trimester, I experienced morning sickness, fatigue and back pain. I am currently entering in my third trimester and have only experienced occasional back pain. The reiki self healing treatment I am sharing with you is what I have used in my pregnancy up to this point. After each self-healing session, I felt energized and empowered. I was able to do the things I loved without dragging my feet, feeling fatigued or having lack of motivation.
I performed this self reiki treatment and focused on the solar plexus, sacral and root chakras. I placed my hands on each chakra center, but spent more time on these three areas because they were more related to the imbalances I experienced in my pregnancy. You can customize your self-treatment by performing the techniques on the areas you need most.
The instructions below are for reiki practitioners of level 1 or higher. If you have not been attuned for reiki, register for the next reiki level 1 training here.
Steps to Reiki Self Treatment For Pregnancy
- Sit in a comfortable chair with the feet flat on the floor. Shoes and socks should be off and your back should be straight.
- Begin by placing the hands together for gassho meditation and mentally reciting the five principles of reiki.
- Set your intentions. My intention was: “With the love and light of Reiki, my body and baby are healthy, and my spirit is strong. I am provided all I need to nourish this life and embrace motherhood by the grace of God.”
- Place the hands at the crown of the head, then move them over the eyes and forehead covering the third eye. Move them over the throat and finally over the heart. Take as much time as you are guided for each of these hand positions.
- Place the hands under the ribs over the solar plexus chakra. Channel reiki energy to empower and balance this center. I used the reiki sandwich here (Cho Ku Rei + Sei Hei Ki + Cho Ku Rei) with the intention that my willpower and confidence remain strong and reiki heal any imbalances causing a disruption to my digestive and nervous system.
- Place the hands under the navel center. Channel reiki healing to the sacral chakra. This is the area you want to focus on connecting with the child. I used the reiki sandwich using the Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen symbol with the intention that it clear any past karma and trauma from myself and my baby (Cho Ku Rei + Sei Hei Ki + Cho Ku Rei + Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen + Cho Ku Rei).
- Place the hands on the pelvis for the root chakra. Since having a child can cause financial stress, I focused on financial stability, prosperity and abundance on this energy center. My intention was that all my child’s needs be met with abundance and that opportunities for financial growth for our family flow freely to us. I used the Cho Ku Rei symbol and the Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen to send healing to the future for our family.
- Complete the reiki self healing session with a closing meditation offering thanks and gratitude for reiki.
I encourage pregnant women to use reiki throughout their pregnancy for the reasons I mentioned in my story and for many other benefits. This reiki self treatment assisted me in healing and embracing this beautiful stage of my life and I hope it does the same for you.