Sometimes there’s a funk in the air that you can’t place but you feel and know it’s there. It feels like the energy is off and life isn’t flowing as it should. It’s negative energy floating around like a dark cloud and somehow it’s creeped into our homes.
If it’s really bad, we may experience bad dreams, indecisiveness, irritability and there may even be arguments breaking out among the people in our homes.
When I pick up on any of these hints, I stop what I’m doing and smudge my home. I move fast to get those low energies out and I do it a couple of different ways. One of them is burning sage and palo santo, the other is using a smudge spray.
There are many reasons why we may want to use a smudge spray instead of burning sage to clear our aura and home. Convenience always tops my list when I use my smudge spray. I can typically clear my home and myself in about 15 minutes or less and it works.
A smudge spray uses the healing properties of essential oils and charged water for clearing. I make my own using my Doterra essential oils and energized waters listed below. Here’s why they work and helpful tips in choosing the right one for your smudge spray.
Essential Oils For Smudge Spray
Healthy Boundaries. Clove is a protective oil and as such it works wonders to protect against energetic attacks or heavy influences. When we feel vulnerable or weak, we are more susceptible to picking up negative energy from people around us and even feeling drained of our own energy. This oil clears creates an energy boundary or shield around you diverting negative vibrations. Use this oil in your smudge spray if you need strength or protection from dominating personalities. Always dilute clove with a carrier oil before applying to your skin.
Stagnancy & Toxic Emotions. Citronella’s vibration can pierce through layers of stagnant energy and draws in light. It removes negative influences from the air, clear low energy habits, help us release negative attachments and cleanses our environment. Use this in your smudge spray to remove stagnancy and toxic emotions from your energy field.
Lemongrass Essential Oil
Negativity & Releasing The Past. Known as the oil of cleansing, lemongrass is a powerful essential oil to use to clear out negative energy from spaces. It moves stagnant energy, lifts us from darkness, brings us clarity and helps us let go of the emotions that drag us down. It is an oil that moves us up and forward in life. It is physically, emotionally and spiritually cleansing. Use lemongrass in your smudge spray if you want to clear negativity and let go of past influences.
Smudge Spray Waters To Consider
Moon water is water that is charged by the energy of the moon. Check out my post on How to Make Your Moon Water for instructions and uses.
Water that is blessed by a holy person holds positive intentions and healing benefits.
Reiki Infused Water
Water blessed by the power of reiki. To infuse the power of reiki in your water, hold container of water in your hands and channel reiki energy with the intention to empower, cleanse and heal. Visually place reiki symbols into the water and say mentally or aloud a blessing or prayer. You can also draw the reiki symbols in your hand and beam them into the water as you hold it. This method is for reiki practitioners and those who have been attuned with reiki healing. Visit my reiki page for more information on becoming a reiki practitioner and receiving an attunement.
When it comes to the water for your spray, one is not better than the other. Choose the one that is available to you or create a trifecta of charged waters by combining them all together.
How To Make A Smudge Spray
What You’ll Need
- 8 oz Spray Bottle – glass bottle is best
- Clove, Citronella or lemongrass essential oil
- Holy water, moon water or reiki infused water
- Small clear quartz crystal (*Optional: This crystal acts as an amplifier of energy. If you have it, supercharge your smudge spray by placing it in the bottle.)
- Add water to spray bottle about ¾ full.
- Add 10-15 drops of one of the essential oils listed.
- Fill bottle with water (moon, holy or reiki infused).
- If using a clear quartz crystal, place it in the bottle.
- Lightly shake and use.
How To Use Smudge Spray
- Invoke spirit with a prayer or mantra.
- Ask that your aura be cleansed from lower vibrations.
- Spray around your aura.
- Repeat as needed or use as a daily ritual before leaving your home.
Home & Space Clearing
- Invoke spirit with a prayer or mantra of your choice.
- Ask your guides to assist in removing low vibrational energy from your home. Request that love and abundance fill your home.
- Ring a bell or clap loudly to remove negativity from the home, especially in the corners of your house and in small tight spaces.
- Starting at the front door and walk clockwise spraying your smudge spray in the air.
- Use the power of sound by reciting a mantra, chant or prayer as you spray.
- Once the whole house has been sprayed, give a final prayer offering thanks and gratitude for the blessing and cleansing of your home.